2013 STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon at The Maine Mall Weekend Title Sponsor: WEX Inc Presented by MEMIC and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
The 2013 STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon Weekend at The Maine Mall was a huge success! STRIVE is extremely grateful for all of the dancers, volunteers, sponsors, and supporters who made this year's event unforgettable! Thanks to the efforts of everyone involved in this year's Dance Marathon, we raised over $60,000 in support of STRIVE programs! THANK YOU!
The Dance Marathon Weekend would not have been possible without the support of the following people and organizations:
The Maine Mall, WEX, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, MEMIC, Joe Bornstein, Rowe Ford, Bangor Savings and Loans, The Forecaster, Pape Chevrolet, AT&T Wireless, Mechanical Services, Martin’s Point, Best Buy, Regency Mortgage, IDEXX, Homewood Suites, Barb Schlichtman, Bath Savings, The Olive Garden, Blast Party Rentals, AV Technik, Hannaford, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Anthony’s Italian Kitchen, Music & Moore, Coca-Cola, Shipyard Brewery, Mr. Divinsky’s Class, Shannon Moss, WMTW News 8, 302 Benders, Psychic Jeri , Yul’s Photography, Otto the Moose, Slugger the Seadog, Jack Streeter, Low 90, WJBQ 97.9 FM, Hello Newman, DJ Verbatim, Studio Fit, Conman, Drums Alive, DJ Tap, Macy’s, LT’s Printing, Trent Montgomery, Portland Kiwanis, Artescope Studio, Casco Bay Movers, DJ Huzz, Mad Science, Studio Fit, Drums Alive, Stillson Irish Dancers, Olympia Sports, Aeropostale, Macy’s, The GAP, USM Athletic Trainers, Newbury Comics, Portland Seadogs, The Maine Redclaws, Maine Indoor Karting, Lids Locker Room, Funtown Splashtown USA, KamaSouptra, Old Navy, Francesca’s Boutique, The Body Shop, LUSH, GNC, Time Warner Cable & Super Shoes
STRIVE would also like to recognize this year's top fundraisers:
Charlie Mercer and Bennet Agnew
Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to STRIVE!
The Dance Marathon received an enormous amount of press coverage this year. Check out WMTW News 8 video and article! STRIVE was also lucky to have WGME 13 reporting during the Dance Day portion of the Dance Marathon. Check out our Facebook Page for lots of pictures from the event!
The Dance Marathon would not have been possible without the support of our title sponsor: WEX as well as our presenting sponsors: Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and MEMIC.
We are thankful for the support of all the 2013 sponsors:
Welcome to STRIVErocks.org where you will find all the latest updates and information about the 2013 STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon Weekend at The Maine Mall! Don't forget to download your Dancer Registration Packet while you're here!
You can register online at FirstGiving.com/STRIVE today! Thank you for supporting STRIVE.
The 9th Annual STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon is coming soon- you don't want to miss this year's event being held on March 2nd & 3rd! This year is sure to be the biggest dance marathon that Maine has ever seen! The Dance Marathon is moving to The Maine Mall and we are adding an additional day of fun activities in hopes to get more people involved! Join STRIVE on March 2nd starting at 9pm for the 12 hour, all night, STRIVE Rocks Dance Marathon. Not a night owl? If you are unable to make the 12 hour marathon- then plan on participating in this year's Dance Day on March 3rd from 10am-6pm. Whether you are a veteran dancer or a new recruit, we are glad to have you become part of our family as we gear up for our 9th Dance Marathon. You are making a difference in the lives of hundreds of tweens, teens, and young adults with developmental disabilities from all across the state.
So how do you get started? You can download your Registration Forms and Information Packet HERE! To be an offical Dancer in the STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon, we ask that you fundraise $100. Keep reading below to find out how to register youself or your team!
NEW UPDATE: 2013 STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon Preliminary Schedule of Events
Friday March 1st: Packet Pick-Up and Pre-Marathon Dinner Presented by Olive Garden
- All dancers are invited to pick up your registration packet, t-shirt, and dancer number at STRIVE on Friday March 1st between 6pm-9pm. By picking up your registration packet and dancer number early, you will be able to skip the lines for registration at the Dance Marathon! Packet pick-up will be held in conjunction STRIVE's biggest program- STRIVE Night Social. Pasta, salad, and breadsticks will be provided by The Olive Garden. Dancers can enjoy dinner and meet new and experienced Dance Marathoners. What a great way to prep for the big weekend!
Saturday March 2nd: The 9th Annual STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon Weekend Kickoff!
- 8:30pm: Registration opens! We can't wait to see you at The Maine Mall on Saturday March 2nd! Look for the Hollywood- style event lights near Macy's to guide you to this red carpet event. Look your best because the papparazzi will be lined up along the red carpet to snap photos of all dancers along our "Papparazzi Wall"! AT&T is hosting a "Text Request Line" so you can text your requests straight to our DJ!
- 9pm: STRIVE Rocks! Spirit Theme Hour! : Wear your STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon 2013 shirt to enter the exclusive Dance Marathon space at The Maine Mall! You must be sporting a 2013 Dance Marathon t-shirt to gain access to the Dance Marathon at 9pm! WMTW News 8 and Shannon Moss will kick off the event! Sephora will be running a make-over station and Psychic Jeri will be offering dancers a peak into the future! The Clearwater Benders will be rocking out with classic covers at 9:15 pm. Prizes will be given to the most spirited dancers!
- 10pm: Sports Theme Hour: Jerseys and Jocks! : Local band Low 90 will keep you dancing and grooving!
- 11pm: 90's Theme Hour: Hello Newman brings your favorite songs from the 90's and 00's to the live music stage! Rock out in your best 90's gear because this is a BEST DRESSED prize hour!
- 12am: Neon and Glow Gear! : STRIVE will be bringing you the hottest DJ in Portland to get the night rolling!
- 1am: Staches and Shades Theme Hour! : Let's get silly with DJ Verbatim and don't forget those stunner shades!
- 2am: Beach Bash Theme Hour! : It may be cold outside but it is HOT HOT HOT at The Maine Mall! Sail away with STRIVE to our private beach during this hour!
- 3am: 80's Workout Theme Hour: That's right, bust out your best workout gear for Studio Fit Zumba dancing hour!
- 4am: YeeHaaw! Wild West Hour! : Saddle up cowboys and cowgirls, it's about to get rowdy during this country themed hour! Sport those country duds because you could win a BEST DRESSED Prize! Conman will be performing some hip hop jams to keep the dance party moving!
- 5am: Animal Print Hour! : Rock that animal print you've been dying to wear all winter! WMTW will return for a live broadcast featuring YOU! WMTW News 8 will be returning to broadcast LIVE from The Maine Mall! Drums Alive will be performing their spectacular routines until 6am!
- 6am: Zombies and Monsters Theme Hour: Let's get SPOOKY dancers! BEST DRESSED monsters will be awarded fantastic prizes! DJ Tap Fitzgerald will be spinning tunes!
- 7am: Prom Jams Glam Hour! : Macy's will be hosting an exclusive Prom Jams Fashion Show featuring STRIVE models and the latest in Prom fashions from NYC! Trunk show to follow!
- 8am: Show your Spirit Hour! Represent your school or group with your best looking gear! You made it through the longest dance-a-thon in Maine, so now it's time to show your school and STRIVE pride! Dancers who make it through the entire night will get exclusive cupons to your favorite mall stores, extra swag, and a marathon medal to show off! WMTW News 8 and Shannon Moss will award medals to all dancers!
Sunday March 3rd: Dance Day at The Maine Mall! This family friendly event will run from 10am-6pm. STRIVE will feature many elements from the Dance Marathon Overnight including moon bounces, face painting by Artascope Studios, musical performances, live DJs, and Baloon Animals by Party Palooga! Registration is $35 to participate in all activities for the entire day!
- 10am: Dance Day Kickoff!
- 11am: Q97.9 Live Radio Boradcast!
- 1pm: Drums Alive performance and workshop!
- 3pm: DJ Huzz
- 2pm: Macy's Fashion Show
- 4pm: Studio Fit Zumba Party! Mad Science Show!
- 5pm: DJ Huzz and Stillson School of Irish Dance Performance
- 6pm: Dance Day conclusion!
Keep checking back for more updates and events as the Dance Marathon Approaches!
Can get enough Dance Marathon? Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/STRIVEnation!
What is the STRIVE ROCKS Dance Marathon?
The STRIVE ROCKS Dane Marathon is the largest 12 hour dance-off of its kind in Maine. As STRIVE's largest fundraiser, the Dance Marathon (DM) raised over $40,000 for STRIVE in 2012! We're on our way to making 2013 the most succedssful Dance Marathon yet!
All money raised benefits our STRIVE programs for over 800 tweens, teens and young adults with developmental disabilities and helps us provide social, recreational, educational, and vocational opportunities for our members.
While the participants play a huge role in raising funds from January-March and finally dancing their hearts out at the DM, this event would not be possible without our many volunteers. Over 30 students/volunteers work all winter organizing events prior to and during the marathon and preparing for the 1000+ dancers.
Just what kind of fun can you expect at the 2013 STRIVE Rocks! Dance Marathon? Live music by The Clearwater Benders & Hello Newman, and all your favorite radio mixes and hits with DJ Verbatim from WJBQ 97.9 fm. Face painting, henna tattos, massages, live prize giveaways, make-over station with Sephora, an exclusive Macy's prom fashion show, Psychic Readings by Jeri, theme hours and contests, free food and drinks, AT&T "Text Screen" with live messages and pictures from local celebrities and Dance Marathon Participants, and surprises throughout the night from all your favorite stores at The Maine Mall.
When and Where is the Dance Marathon?
NEW!!!! The STRIVE ROCKS Dance Marathon will be held at The Maine Mall this year! The Dance Marathon is always the first weekend in March.This year the Dance Marathon will be held from 9:00pm on Saturday, March 2nd to 9:00am on Sunday, March 3rd! Not able to participate in the overnight event? No Problem! New this year Dance Day! Join STRIVE for all the same activities from the overnight, during the day on March 3rd from 11am-6pm! There will be a flat fee of $35 for those who wish to participate in Dance Day on March 3rd, or you can collect donations through first giving as well.
How Can I Participate in the Dance Marathon?
You can dance individually or in teams of as many people as you would like! You can bring your packet (completed forms and $100) the night of the Dance Marathon. Prizes are awarded to the top fundraisers!
Participants must fill out three forms before dancing: Emergency Medical Form, Registration Form, and a Release Form. All Dance Marathon forms can be picked up at the STRIVE Center in South Portland, requested via email, or printed off our website.
Participants can also fill out registration forms online at FirstGiving and request donations from family and friends online.
Questions: Contact STRIVE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to volunteer at the event? Contact Kristina at (207) 774-6278 for volunteering information.
Make your own Donation Page with FirstGiving!
STRIVE dancers can make their own dancer donation page online!
“Registering Online is so easy!”
To Register online– takes minutes and you will be amazed how quickly you will reach your goal!
- Visit www.Firstgiving.com/strive
- Click the “Get Started” button in the middle of the page
- Select the Dance Marathon 2013 option
- Enter your email address, and select “I’m new to this site” option
- Fill in the required personal information fields
- After filling out the required fields, the site will bring you to your own page. Just fill in the blanks!
- When finished click continue
- Follow the prompts to promote your website. Send an email blast to friends, neighbors and relatives– asking them to sponsor you.
Your Firstgiving site will keep track of your donations as you get closer to your goal! This is a quick and easy way for you to get pledges! The website takes donors credit card information, and transmits the funds directly to STRIVE. Firstgiving.com accepts Master Card, Visa, American Express and Discover Cards. You don’t need to take pledges, collect checks or anything! Just promote your site! And remember to thank all of those who supported you!
Please feel free to contact Kristina Smalley at STRIVE with any questions: 774-6278
All donations to STRIVE are tax deductible. Receipts can be requested through STRIVE.
Exciting Things From the 2012 Dance Marathon!
STRIVE had lots of great media coverage from the 2012 Dance Marathon from WMTW News 8 and the Portland Press Herald! Check out it out: