STRIVE U grants admission to students whose academic credentials, scholastic achievement, and personal motivation demonstrate a promise of success in its academic programs.
STRIVE U is a complete program not found anywhere else. STRIVE U is the only program in the nation for young adults with developmental disabilities that combines all four program areas of residential living, employment, transition, and post-secondary education. It is inclusive, comprehensive, and groundbreaking.
Students admitted to STRIVE U will meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age by the year of admission and no older than 25 by the year of admission
- Must meet eligibility guidelines established by the Department of Health and Human Services for the State of Maine for intellectual disability:
- Significantly sub-average intellectual functioning means a person scores 70 or below on a standard intelligence test.
- Impairments in adaptive behavior means not being able to do things that most others of the same age do.
- Manifested during the developmental period means occurring before age 22.
- Produce three letters of recommendation, one from a teacher, one from an employer, and one personal (excluding relatives).
- Student must be his/her own guardian by the start of the residential program.
- Be able to complete his/her own application working as independently as possible.
- Agree to participate in an interview process.
- Agree to actively participate in an independent living skills assessment and any other required assessments, and meet the criteria established by STRIVE U.
- Have completed their Individual Education Plan (IEP) under IDEA at a certified secondary school.
- Be able to provide STRIVE U with a high school transcript or equivalent.
- Received a High School Diploma, Certificate of Completion, or equivalent from a certified secondary school.
- Demonstrate an interest in possessing educational, employment, and life experiences that are necessary to attain substantial independence upon graduation from STRIVE U.
- Have a proved ability to learn and participate in classroom situations and professional work settings.
- Be willing to abide by all the rules and policies set forth by STRIVE U – available upon request
- Meet immunization requirements for STRIVE U
- Student and family must consent to being filmed, video recorded, interviewed and/or quoted in media and publications
For more information, please contact Olivia Fraioli at (207) 774-6278 ext. 315 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org